BBQ Chicken Wings
Red Wine BBQ Chicken Wings
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tbsp packed light brown sugar
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, seeded and minced
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Salt & pepper
- 12 mixed chicken drumsticks and thighs
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the shallots and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the ketchup, wine, sugar, chipotle and mustard. Bring to a boil over moderately high heat, then simmer over moderately low heat, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, then puree in a blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. (Sauce can be refrigerated for up to a week.)
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and put a baking rack on it.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and put on the rack.
- Roast for 15 minutes, until the skin is lightly browned. Brush the chicken with some of the sauce and roast for 40 minutes longer, turning and basting every 10 minutes, until nicely glazed and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest piece registers 165°.
- Transfer to a platter and enjoy!