St. Julian Winery & Distillery is seeking qualified Harvest Interns for the 2022 season. Family owned and operated since 1921, we are the largest and one of the most respected wineries in Michigan. St. Julian produces a diverse portfolio of dry-to-sweet wines, sparkling wines, ciders, sparkling juices, and several distilled spirits.
Harvest begins sometime between the end of August and mid-September, depending on the year and ends around November 15th. The internship involves working long hours, seven days per week during the peak harvest season. The intern position is expected to work in all aspects of laboratory, cellar and grape receiving and processing.
Position will last for 12-18 weeks depending on the season, starting late July/early August.
- Analyze samples in a timely manner
- Follow Standard Operating Procedures and safety protocols
- Record results in proper reporting methods
- Monitor tank and barrel fermentations as requested
- Cleaning and sanitation of equipment
- Cleaning of the winery and production area as needed
- Pre and post work sanitation
- Operate winery machinery in a safe and effective manner
- Collect representative samples from tanks and barrels
- Participate in lab general housekeeping
- Communicate effectively with supervisor and other staff
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Occasional cellar work when time allows
- Performing pump overs & punch downs
- Draining & digging out tanks
- All other tasks as assigned by Winemakers, Enologist and Cellar Master
- Be able to work efficiently with minimal supervision
- Motivated to go above and beyond what is asked
- Quick learner and adaptive to rapidly changing environment
- Ability to multi-task
- Tend to harvest grape receiving and sampling station. This includes weighing and inspecting trucks.
- Knowledge and understanding of basic wine chemistry and how it applies to the work being carried out.
- Moderate to heavy physical work, including extensive walking and lifting of up to 55 pounds
- Standing for long periods of time (8-12 hours per day)
- Must comply with all safety equipment requirements including ear plugs and safety glasses
- Exposure to various chemicals in production areas
- Long and irregular hours during peak periods or on various shifts (12 hour shifts x 7 days/week)
- Science degree in chemistry, biology, food science or related field ideal though not required
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Upbeat attitude
- Loves to clean
- Must be willing to work flexible hours including overtime, varying shifts and weekends
How to Apply
Apply by emailing your resume to Dana Vandeveer at email@example.com